Applying to Echo
Thank you for your interest in Echo! The application for the Echo class beginning courses in summer 2019 will be available in late August 2018. Please check back then. In the meantime, please review the information below and contact the Echo staff with any questions!
How to apply
The application process for both tracks of Echo (Parish Catechetical Leadership and Teaching Theology) is shared. All applicants are considered for full-time ministry positions through the Echo Parish Catechetical Leadership track. Those who would also like to be considered for full-time theology teacher or dual theology teacher/campus minister positions through the Echo Teaching Theology track have the option to apply to both tracks, and can indicate their preference (and reasoning behind their preference) at the beginning of the Echo Supplemental Application.
To apply for the Echo program, complete the online Notre Dame Application to the Graduate School, which includes submitting the items listed below.
- Echo Supplemental Application. The Echo Supplemental Application constitutes the majority of the application process for Echo. Please use the Word document to fill in your personal responses, save it as a PDF, and upload the completed document as an “Additional Program Upload” in your application to the Notre Dame Graduate School: Echo 15 Supplemental Application 2018 (available in late August 2018)
- Unofficial transcripts
GRE scores. Scores should be sent directly to the University of Notre Dame Graduate School at the time the test is taken. GRE scores should also be submitted along with the Graduate School Application, and must be submitted by the December 1 or January 10 deadline, depending on your application submission date.
Please note: There is a 10-14 day delay between when you take the GRE and when Notre Dame receives your scores. If you take the GRE after December 31, please also email your scores to email@example.com.
- Statement of intent
Recommenders’ names and contact information. Once you enter your recommenders’ names and email addresses into your application, they will immediately receive an email prompting them to submit a letter of recommendation electronically through the Graduate School SLATE Application.
- Three (3) professor recommendations. Invite three professors who can speak to your suitability for graduate study in theology to write a letter for you. These must be professors who have had you in class (in which you received a letter grade), but need not be professors of theology or religious studies. Send each recommender the Echo Professor Rec Instructions 2018 (available in late August 2018) document that will explain the recommendation letter process.
- One (1) personal recommendation. Invite someone to write a letter for you, who can speak directly to your capacities for leadership, ministry, spiritual enrichment, and communal living. Ideal personal recommenders include previous employers, community service leaders/supervisors, dorm rectors/hall directors, and campus ministry leaders; recommenders should not include family members or peers. Send your recommender the Echo Personal Rec Instructions 2018 document (available in late August 2018) that will explain the recommendation letter process.
- Applicants from Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s College, and Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, Indiana) only: If you do not select your dorm rector to write your personal recommendation, please request that your Rector submit the Rector Recommendation Letter. Send your rector the Echo Rector Letter – ND, SMC, HCC 2018 document (available in late August 2018) and enter his/her contact information into the 5th “recommender” field of your Graduate School Application.
- The $75 application fee (paid by cash, check, or fee waiver code–see below).
As you complete the online application, you should be able to leave the application and return to work on it later, provided that you log in with the same username and pin number. Please see the separate Echo-Grad School Instructions 2018 (available in late August 2018) document for detailed directions. The Graduate School provides helpful responses to FAQs on the Graduate School Admissions Website.
Application Fee: The fee for an application made to the Notre Dame Graduate School is $75. However, all Echo applicants who apply by the December 1 early application deadline are eligible to have their application fee waived. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26 to receive the fee waiver code.
Interviews & Admissions
Selected applicants will be invited to Notre Dame’s campus for an in-person interview in early-to-mid February. Admissions offers will be made on a rolling basis beginning in March.