Chronicles of Narnia: A Spiritual Journey through Narnia from Lent to Easter
All lectures will take place in the auditorium of the Eck Visitors Center, Notre Dame. Each night the first lecture is at 6:00pm and the second lecture is at 7:15pm. The lectures are free and open to the public.
March 5, March 19, April 9, April 23
Comprising four evenings with two lectures featured back-to-back each time, this series convenes on March 5, March 19, April 9 and April 23. The series is designed to accompany the audience as they make their way through reading the Chronicles of Narnia during Lent and into Easter.
Academic Course: running alongside the lecture series, a 1.0 credit academic course is being offered to Notre Dame students. This course, THEO 30061-The Chronicles of Narnia: A Spiritual Journey, corresponds with the lecture series, which provides for a communal reading of the Chronicles of Narnia as an invitation to a spiritual journey. Convening intentionally throughout the liturgical seasons of Lent and Easter, theological reflection will draw out liturgical themes, processes of transformation, tones of redemption, eschatological dimensions, and understandings of creation that run throughout these widely accessible and beloved stories. Lectures from theologians and literary scholars from Notre Dame and elsewhere will provide much of the instruction for the course, supplemented by class discussion and study group inquiries. Students are required to attend all lectures (6:00–8:30pm on 3/5, 3/19, 4/9, and 4/23) plus two additional class sessions (6:00–7:30pm on 2/26 and 4/30). Students will also meet together in reading groups and complete a final reflection paper.
March 5, 2019
- 6:00–7:00pm, Introductory Lecture, David Fagerberg (Notre Dame)
- 7:15–8:15pm, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Leonard DeLorenzo (Notre Dame)
March 19, 2019
- 6:00–7:00pm, Prince Caspian, Michael Ward (Oxford)
- 7:15–8:15pm, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Peter Schakel (Hope College)
April 9, 2019
- 6:00–7:00pm, The Silver Chair, Rebekah Lamb (St. Andrew's)
- 7:15–8:15pm, The Horse and His Boy, Francesca Murphy (Notre Dame)
April 23, 2019
- 6:00–7:00pm, The Magician’s Nephew, Catherine Cavadini (Notre Dame)
- 7:15–8:15pm, The Last Battle, Anthony Pagliarini (Notre Dame)
For those who are unable to attend, the lectures will be recorded and posted to this page and the McGrath YouTube page when they become available.